Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Shoot a firework rocket ~ Winners!
Make a forum zoo!

Welcome to The Round Table. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Brookfield and Shedd News
Topic Started: Jul 27 2016, 05:28 PM (2,697 Views)
Goldblum
Member Avatar

Hey guys! I thought that if anyone had questions about Shedd Aquarium (where I volunteer :D ) about animals that can be found here! Don't be a shy garden eel! Feel free to ask questions!
Here is some news!
Our baby Pacific white-sided dolphin has been named "Kukdlaa!" .___.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Imperator Furiosa
Member Avatar
Chaos Theory

Love the Shedd Aquarium, it's exciting to see they chose a name for their new baby! Any other new arrivals or births?

Also what's your job there and do you enjoy it? I was looking at some of their volunteer jobs before I got brought on by the Field Museum.

Goldblum
Member Avatar

Imperator Furiosa
Jul 27 2016, 05:50 PM
Love the Shedd Aquarium, it's exciting to see they chose a name for their new baby! Any other new arrivals or births?
Also what's your job there and do you enjoy it?
Thanks for the love for Shedd! ;)
There have been some tadpoles for yellow-banded poison dart frogs and fire-bellied toads. They added some new species like a sea pen, flying gurnards and a false stonefish! The black-tip reef sharks have given birth and two zebra sharks are going to lay eggs any day now.
My job is an exhibit interpretation. It basically means that I talk to guests about our most famous animals like lungfish, belugas, dolphins, penguins, otters, sea lions, sharks, sea turtle etc. I also enforce rules as well as making sure that the guests have a fun and informative trip to the aquarium!

TheToastinator
Member Avatar
A piece of toast and a terminator.

Haven't been to the Shedd Aquarium in a few years...

I have a couple questions-
1. How do you train the animals to preform?
2. How do you feed the animals?

Edited by TheToastinator, Jul 27 2016, 06:34 PM.

Goldblum
Member Avatar

TheToastinator
Jul 27 2016, 06:32 PM
1. How do you train the animals to preform?
2. How do you feed the animals?

1. We train the animals every single day, twice a day every day of the year. And we also focus on natural behaviors in the shows.
2. Each animal is either target-trained (trained to come when they see a signal), noise-trained or light-trained.
Hope that answers your questions! :)

Consultant
Member Avatar

Do you still have that alligator snapping turtle in the freshwater section? What about the anaconda? What area of the aquarium do you enjoy working at most?

Paleodude
Member Avatar
ex-Krampus

Oh didn't know we had another member from Chicago other than the ones I knew and working at a fun place. Haven't been to Shedd for awhile but I was wondering how the caiman lizards were doing and whether they have had any new clutches.

Goldblum
Member Avatar

Consultant
Jul 27 2016, 11:16 PM
Do you still have that alligator snapping turtle in the freshwater section? What about the anaconda? What area of the aquarium do you enjoy working at most?
We still have Guinness (that's our alligator snapping turtle) however he's now in At home on the Great Lakes!
Our green anaconda is still at home in Amazon Rising!
If I had to choose I'd say Amphibians!

Goldblum
Member Avatar

Paleodude
Jul 28 2016, 01:03 AM
Haven't been to Shedd for awhile but I was wondering how the caiman lizards were doing and whether they have had any new clutches.
Our caiman lizards are doing ok. There have been any eggs clutches in a while but they is an interesting story about one of our caiman lizards "Hiss Majesty". Here is the link to the video!
Shedd Science Pub: A prosthetic limb for Hiss Majesty

Goldblum
Member Avatar

Just some quick news
Stingray Touch has been re-opened after being closed for a week.
Posted Image

Paleodude
Member Avatar
ex-Krampus

I just love the modern art above the tanks, adds a nice splash of color to an otherwise blank area. Good to see the tank bounce back after a pretty rough winter.

Goldblum
Member Avatar

Sad news. Today Miki (MEE-kee) meaning "little" in Inupiaq has passed away while on loan to Mystic Aquarium. This saddens almost everyone due to the fact that he was friendly to everyone even the dolphins. They would have "conversations" over the tank walls.
Here is a link to the blog post Miki's Passing
R.I.P. Miki. I like to think that he's probably swimming in Beluga Heaven.
Posted Image

Zoo Tycooner FR
Member Avatar
DuckBeakIlluminati

I read (on Wikipedia) that you have about 1500 species (It's well perplexing) , is it true ?

Because AFAIK (if it's the case) , the Shedd Aquarium would be the zoological collection with the most numerous species in the world (2nd one being the Berlin Zoologischer Garten with 1133 species, again AFAIK)

Jony
Member Avatar

Zoo Tycooner FR
Aug 14 2016, 07:49 PM
I read (on Wikipedia) that you have about 1500 species (It's well perplexing) , is it true ?

Because AFAIK (if it's the case) , the Shedd Aquarium would be the zoological collection with the most numerous species in the world (2nd one being the Berlin Zoologischer Garten with 1133 species, again AFAIK)
This would suprise me because the Zoo Berlin always says that they are the zoo with the most species in world.
Edited by Jony, Aug 15 2016, 02:37 AM.

Zoo Tycooner FR
Member Avatar
DuckBeakIlluminati

Yeah , as I said before it's kind of perplexing ...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Trip Reports & Reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: