Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Shoot a firework rocket ~ Winners!
Make a forum zoo!

Welcome to The Round Table. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Field Herping; Searching for reptiles and amphibians in a natural setting
Topic Started: Dec 4 2017, 12:08 AM (296 Views)
Oxybelis
Member Avatar

Hey folks. I’m rarely active on the forums anymore and I haven’t booted up ZT2 in years. I spend most of my time finding and photographing reptiles and amphibians in the wild these days, and my search has taken me all across the United States and even out of the country. From common species to some of our more iconic ones like hellbenders and bog turtles, you can find my photos by following this link to my instagram. Feel free to drop your Instagram, Flickr, etc accounts below or photos of what you’ve found in the field. I’d love to see if anyone else shares this hobby
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

caviar
Member Avatar

Even though herpetology is not my field, i've accompanied my friends many times, while they are heping; Usually i'm searching nocturnal birds haha

I've seen many interesting heps myself, including an unknown crystal frog, fer-de-lance and lancehead. i've also seen yellow striped dart frog and many anolis species flagging their dewlap, common and brown basilisk and golden tegu. But what i'm eager to see are any salamander or caecilians.

Oxybelis
Member Avatar

Neotropical salamanders are some of the coolest in the world! Hope you find some eventually

caviar
Member Avatar

I've finally met a caecilian, it was beautiful. A truly amzaing and bizarre animal.

Anton
Member Avatar
King of Cotingas

My main focus is birding, but I keep track of all herps I find too. Not that much left here in Belgium (though alpine newts are wonderful!), but on holiday in Singapore and Indonesia 2 years ago I stumbled upon many monitors (water and clouded), common flying dragons, and even 3 sea turtle species while snorkling! :D

I'd love to see a wild caecilian some day!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Furka
Member Avatar

Spotted a slider and a gecko basking in the sun these days, nothing exceptional if it wasn't for the fact we are in full winter and they shouldn't be around.

Whalebite
Member Avatar

I like your pictures. I don't do a lot of herping , but I did a YouTube Video on my Channel Backyard Expeditions of herping along the Colorado River on a river trip (Link here). I am hoping to get more into it. I am hoping this summer to do some photography of various reptiles both in the field and in a studio, maybe do some photoshoot videos. My greatest herping adventure was when I was up in washington and I was like "you know their are salmaders under rocks here" and then the first thing i rolled had one, I barley beleved it because I was kind of bluffing, as I had no clue what lookinf for slamanders was like.
Edited by Whalebite, Jan 3 2018, 07:06 PM.

Sheather
Member Avatar
Thank you for the set, Azrael!

I captured an Eastern tiger salamander on its way across a road to a breeding pond on Easter weekend, after a spring rainstorm woke them out of hibernation. It is the first time I have found a salamander and I am keeping it as a pet.

Posted Image
Edited by Sheather, Apr 7 2018, 11:26 PM.

Danny
Member Avatar

Such a cute salamander, Sheather!

I am not specifically into herping, I just like looking for wildlife in general (whether mammal-watching, birding or herping). However, in February I had the opportunity to do research on a species of Liopholis skink in the Australian alps. This is a little known data-deficient species related to the critically endangered Guthega skink called the Tan-backed (Mountain) skink. During the trip, I saw several other skink species and also managed to see a couple of dragons and lace monitors.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Pets & Wildlife · Next Topic »
Add Reply