Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Shoot a firework rocket ~ Winners!
Make a forum zoo!

Welcome to The Round Table. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Frog help
Topic Started: Jan 2 2018, 01:48 PM (337 Views)
Sergio
Member Avatar
sayori best girl

So, about a month ago, my sister went to a friend's house and came back with a bottle with some fish and a tadpole she said she'd found on a small pond. For some reason (which was never told to me) we couldn't get them back to where she found them, but I wasn't going to just let them die so I agreed to keep them on a small tank I had.

Everything has gone well, there haven't been any problems and we even now have baby fish swimming around. However, the tadpole now has become a frog and I honestly have no idea how I should take care of it. It's still tiny, it must be 1-2cm long max, anybody have any advice taking care of animals like this one? The tadpole grew well on fish flakes but it doesn't seem to want to eat them now.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

stargatedalek
Member Avatar
I'm not slow! That's just my moe!

I recommend trying pre-killed mealworms or crickets since it's so small. You could also try any small fish or turtle food that's meat based.

Furka
Member Avatar

A lot of anura don't feed as they go through metamorphosys, they use the nutrients they get from reabsorbing the tail. It is possible that the frog (are you sure it's a frog and not a toad BTW) is still going through that.

Anyway, if you have a way to get them, aphids and springtails should be accepted.

Also as a general rule, it's best not to take wild animals you don't know how to take care of.
Edited by Furka, Jan 2 2018, 05:24 PM.

Sergio
Member Avatar
sayori best girl

Thanks for the advice to both! I'll try to find meaworms, crickets or aphids as soon as possible. How would I know if it's a frog or a toad though? I don't have much experience with amphibians :P

Quote:

Also as a general rule, it's best not to take wild animals you don't know how to take care of.

I agree, however my sister did not know that and if my parents for some reason will not let me return it to the wild the only thing I can do is take care of it.

stargatedalek
Member Avatar

Frankly at that stage it's not easy to know if it's a frog or a toad, and it won't really matter yet. Make sure it has a decent amount of dry land, a floating turtle dock is a great option, and you'll find out what it is in due time.

Even if you could it's probably a bad idea to release it so late in the year, if you still don't want to keep it I recommend releasing it in the next breeding cycle instead.

Sergio
Member Avatar
sayori best girl

Actually it's summer over here, do you still think it's a bad idea to release it? I'll definitely need to buy a floating dock though, all I have right now are a couple ornaments which I've purposefully made stick out of the water. It still has a little bit of its tail and it hasn't really tried to get out of the water yet.

Furka
Member Avatar

stargatedalek
Jan 2 2018, 06:46 PM
Frankly at that stage it's not easy to know if it's a frog or a toad, and it won't really matter yet.
Not truly correct, if things are like our frogs and toads there's a crucial difference: frogs can just do metamorphosys in water, but toads need to go to dry land or else they'll drown because their breathing system is switching to a more terrestrial lifestyle. So it's usually safer to place them in a bowl with extremely shallow water (less than their body height, they don't need to be fully submerged at this point) when they have all 4 limbs well developed, to make the change easier for them.

If your frog still has a tail stump it's likely still going through, and won't eat until it's done.

stargatedalek
Member Avatar

Furka
Jan 2 2018, 07:03 PM
stargatedalek
Frankly at that stage it's not easy to know if it's a frog or a toad, and it won't really matter yet.
Not truly correct, if things are like our frogs and toads there's a crucial difference: frogs can just do metamorphosys in water, but toads need to go to dry land or else they'll drown because their breathing system is switching to a more terrestrial lifestyle. So it's usually safer to place them in a bowl with extremely shallow water (less than their body height, they don't need to be fully submerged at this point) when they have all 4 limbs well developed, to make the change easier for them.

If your frog still has a tail stump it's likely still going through, and won't eat until it's done.
I was actually thinking the other way around, our frogs also need dry land and will even exit the water before loosing their tails (though that may just be Pseudacris? it's all I really know well).

Posted Image Flish
Member Avatar

Furka
Jan 2 2018, 07:03 PM
stargatedalek

the vast majority of Anurans will voluntarily go on land once they can. There are of course exceptions, but supplying land to them is generally a good idea for most frogs.

But yeah, at that size your best bet is going to be things like aphids and springtails. Very small stuff. Fruit flies might work, but I haven't seen those for sale in a long time, though it may just be the US.

Sheather
Member Avatar
Thank you for the set, Azrael!

And it needs live insects, very few anuran will eat anything that doesn't move (I can only think of clawed frogs and cane toads.)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Pets & Wildlife · Next Topic »
Add Reply