Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Shoot a firework rocket ~ Winners!
Make a forum zoo!

Welcome to The Round Table. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Whalebite's Zoo Reveiws
Topic Started: Jan 5 2018, 10:15 AM (464 Views)
Whalebite
Member Avatar

So I have been to quite a few Zoos and Aquariums, about 30 and I have tons of photos and video from each, so I have been working on a "zoo reveiw" where I have made slideshows of my visits and then added commentary on each. I would really like to hear your thoughts of the Zoo if you have been to it. Some Zoos are going to be a little out of date since I haven't visited them recently. My first One is the Sacramento Zoo

Last Media taken in July of 2015, so may not reflect current zoo
The Sacramento Zoo is a nice small zoo located in Sacramento California. I have visited it many times and seen it develop over the years. It is not a massive zoo like San Diego or Henry Doorly, and feels like a pretty standard zoo. That said it has some pretty interesting animals like Coquerel’s Sifaka, Giant Anteaters, and now some aardvarks. They also have one of the nicest Reptile houses, however I have heard it has been renovated since my last visit, and is now the biodiversity center, not reptile house; maybe I can go back and take a see what that all entailed. If you have a free day in the area I would recommend it. If you have visited this zoo as well I would love to here your thoughts.

Edited by Whalebite, Jan 5 2018, 10:17 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Whalebite
Member Avatar

Footage was taken in the Summer of 2012 and so may not reflect the current Aquarium.
The Oregon Coast Aquarium is an excellent aquarium with many beautiful North Pacific Animals. If you are looking for tropical fish you will find only a few, but if you want to see the great variety of cold water fish found along the Oregon coast then this aquarium has it. The Aquarium is famously the place where Keiko the killer whale, of Free Willy fame, was trained to able to hunt fish before his relocation and release in Iceland. If your in the area I would recommend making a day of visiting this aquarium and the nearby (and free) Hatfield Marine Science center (that's another video) while in Newport. If you have been here I would like to hear your thoughts.

Whalebite
Member Avatar

Media taken in Summer of 2016, so may not reflect current zoo
The Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle is a really nice zoo. It has a great bird collection: with unusual birds such as trogons, cock-of-the-rocks, and Blue-faced Honeyeaters. Its mammal and reptile collections are pretty standard, but still impressive and has many cool species. Many exhibits seem rather large and quite naturalistic. I highly recommend this zoo.
Some of you might recognize the bear picture from a zoo photo contest, although it is nice, some of the pictures that people got were spectacular!
If you have gone to this zoo I really want to hear your thoughts.

Whalebite
Member Avatar

Just down the street from the Oregon coast aquarium is this little gem

Pictures are from 2012 so may not accurately represent the Center Today
The Hatfield Marine Science Center is a free to visit aquarium run through Oregon State University. It only has a few tanks and animals, but has plenty of Museum and Oceanography exhibits and displays; including specimens from their work at deep sea hydrothermal vents. I really recommend the visit though, it is near the Oregon Coast Aquarium and you can make a day of visiting these two aquariums in Newport. I also recommend it because you can interact and "play" with a Giant Pacific Octopus. On my first visit, I was their during interaction time and not only got to touch the creature but watch it try to climb up a women's arm, really memorable, make sure you are their for it. If you have been here I would like to hear about your experiences.

Whalebite
Member Avatar

There is an Aye-aye Picture in this Video!

I visited in 2011, so this video may not reflect current zoo
I wanted to visit the Cincinnati Zoo for many years as a child. From housing the last Passenger Pigeon to keeping Sumatran Rhinos, this zoo had many things I wanted to see. I was very happy to visit this zoo and it has many surprises. It has the Best Bug Zoo, along with pretty incredible nocturnal houses, bird collection, and species. It felt a little like a small zoo, but is defiantly not.
-------------
Almost done making these now, just need to record the 2 big ones (San Diego and Henry Doorly) and one more good size one (The SDZ Safari Park)

Panthera-Onca
Member Avatar
Hi!

Is that a woolly rhino??? I thought those were extinct!

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't know Sumatra rhinos were hairy :/
Edited by Panthera-Onca, Jan 29 2018, 12:44 AM.

Whalebite
Member Avatar

They are quite hairy, the babies are fluffy, really cute
Here is the Next Aquarium

Latest footage is from the spring of 2012 and may not accurately represent the current aquarium.
Love it or Hate it, Las Vegas has many tourist attractions. One is the Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay. This aquarium however is pretty good and has an excellent shark tank, and other exhibits. My one major word of advice is take your time, read every sign spend some good time with every exhibit, because tickets here are not cheap and the aquarium is not all that big. I have gone through this aquarium too fast and regretted it, I hope this bit of advice helps. The aquarium has a bit of a ruin theme that they actually transition into the ocean, by having a tank that blends the ruins with a reef. The touch pool is really memorable as it has a variety of stingray and shark species, and I remember really loving it as a kid. The shark tank is amazing with a ship wreck theme that looks pretty good, and is home to a couple sawfish, tarpon, and larger sharks. I would like to here your thoughts on this aquarium if you have gone.
Edited by Whalebite, Jan 29 2018, 05:24 PM.

Whalebite
Member Avatar

2 more reveiws

I visited in 2011, so this video may not reflect current park.
Visiting the International Crane Foundation is a real treat. Although tiny in comparison with many zoos, it is a really unique concept; keep and breed all 15 species of crane, and they do.
Learn more on their website https://www.savingcranes.org/

I went in 2016, so these pictures may not accurately represent the current aquarium.
The Vancouver Aquarium is a beautiful aquarium in picturesque Stanley Park. They have a good range of exhibits from tropical reefs, the Amazon Rainforest, to the waters off of British Columbia. They also have a wonderful outdoor area home to various marine mammals, like sea lions, fur seals, and sea otter. They also used to keep cetaceans. When I was their they had four species, Beluga, Harbor Porpoise, Pacific White-sided Dolphin, and a False Killer Whale. Most of the marine mammals are rescues that could not be returned, the Dolphin is missing her flippers and the False Killer Whale was rescued as a young calf. Sadly all but the Pacific White-sided dolphin where dead by 2018, and the aquarium will no longer keep any after the dolphin. The aquarium operates a rescue program that rehabilitates and releases many marine animals every year. It is an excellent aquarium and I highly recommend it.

Whalebite
Member Avatar

It has been awhile, Only a few more are left to come out.
Anyway here is a link to the playlist.
Zoo Reveiw Playlist

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Trip Reports & Reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply