Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to The Round Table. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SeaWorld CEO steps down
Topic Started: Feb 28 2018, 01:43 AM (432 Views)
Megraptor
No Avatar

I'm not sure if this interests anyone here, but here's this-
http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/27/news/companies/seaworld-ceo-joel-manby-steps-down/index.html

I've seen some people speculate that breeding could come back, or that animals are going to be gotten rid of completely and it will become an amusement park only. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

simplyorcas23
Member Avatar

Megraptor
Feb 28 2018, 01:43 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/27/news/companies/seaworld-ceo-joel-manby-steps-down/index.html

I've seen some people speculate that breeding could come back, or that animals are going to be gotten rid of completely and it will become an amusement park only. It will be interesting to see what happens.
YASSSS! Can't believe he is fired now woohoo!

stargatedalek
Member Avatar
I'm not slow! That's just my moe!

simplyorcas23
Feb 28 2018, 02:21 AM
Megraptor

He chose to leave, he was not fired. He felt like the company needed a new vision in charge.

And frankly, what exactly has he done wrong? I admit he could have had a firmer position and gave up a lot of ground to the anti-cap loons, but he didn't really have any choice.

Megraptor
No Avatar

stargatedalek
Feb 28 2018, 02:48 AM

\And frankly, what exactly has he done wrong? I admit he could have had a firmer position and gave up a lot of ground to the anti-cap loons, but he didn't really have any choice.
That depends who you ask... Some people feel that SeaWorld should have taken a more aggressive aproach to Blackfish and other Animal Rights Activist claims. They really didn't do much in regards to Blackfish, and kind of just... let it become the mainstream idea.

simplyorcas23
Member Avatar

stargatedalek
Feb 28 2018, 02:48 AM
simplyorcas23
Feb 28 2018, 02:21 AM
Megraptor

He chose to leave, he was not fired. He felt like the company needed a new vision in charge.

And frankly, what exactly has he done wrong? I admit he could have had a firmer position and gave up a lot of ground to the anti-cap loons, but he didn't really have any choice.
Well,A Fact,A friend actually TOLD me he was fired but apparently not lolll
Edited by simplyorcas23, Mar 1 2018, 04:37 PM.

P4r4d0x
Member Avatar

I've always had mixed opinions on SeaWorld. On the one hand, I understand that they make a lot of efforts towards conservation of marine life, but on the other hand, I am concerned about the health of their animals, and the conditions in which they're kept. I have a hard time believing that the tanks are large enough for their orcas (a whale that can swim miles a day and dive up to 1,000 feet beneath the surface probably needs a bigger enclosure than what they have.) I am of the mindset that Tilikum should've been retired after the first person he killed, and preferably to a sea pen. He lived a hard life, being one of the first whales captured from the wild to be used in an amusement park. I certainly hope this change of CEO comes with more positive changes. We'll just have to wait and see.

stargatedalek
Member Avatar

P4r4d0x
Mar 8 2018, 08:09 PM
I've always had mixed opinions on SeaWorld. On the one hand, I understand that they make a lot of efforts towards conservation of marine life, but on the other hand, I am concerned about the health of their animals, and the conditions in which they're kept. I have a hard time believing that the tanks are large enough for their orcas (a whale that can swim miles a day and dive up to 1,000 feet beneath the surface probably needs a bigger enclosure than what they have.) I am of the mindset that Tilikum should've been retired after the first person he killed, and preferably to a sea pen. He lived a hard life, being one of the first whales captured from the wild to be used in an amusement park. I certainly hope this change of CEO comes with more positive changes. We'll just have to wait and see.
You can blame the anti-cap people for that. There were actually plans to create larger naturalistic tanks for the orcas, similar to the (world class) ones SeaWorld has for their smaller dolphins, but they were cancelled due to budget restraints as part of a concession that included an end to deliberate breeding. These people claiming to care about the animals well being near collectively agreed to allow them to stay in worse conditions than needed in a frankly petty attempt to end orca captivity in general.

P4r4d0x
Member Avatar

stargatedalek
Mar 8 2018, 09:02 PM
P4r4d0x
Mar 8 2018, 08:09 PM
You can blame the anti-cap people for that. There were actually plans to create larger naturalistic tanks for the orcas, similar to the (world class) ones SeaWorld has for their smaller dolphins, but they were cancelled due to budget restraints as part of a concession that included an end to deliberate breeding. These people claiming to care about the animals well being near collectively agreed to allow them to stay in worse conditions than needed in a frankly petty attempt to end orca captivity in general.
I can’t stand the anti-cap people. I wish they realized that thanks to the efforts of many zoos’ breeding programs, several species have been brought back from the brink of extinction. Those are the same people who think an animal born and raised in captivity can just be tossed back in the water and be perfectly fine.
Edited by P4r4d0x, Mar 8 2018, 10:11 PM.

Megraptor
No Avatar

Quote:

I am concerned about the health of their animals

This is actually interesting because from what I have heard, their animals are in no worse condition than other animals.

It's just, they keep some animals that are pretty tough to keep in captivity. Polar bears are notoriously hard, even if they are common in zoos. Walruses are extremely hard, hence why very few zoos have them. That and they don't have a large breeding population.

And then there are the cetaceans. For some reason, cetaceans are very susceptible to pneumonia, both wild and captive. This is the main cause of death for captive cetaceans... We are making progress on it though, or at least it seems so because bottlenose dolphins are living long lives in captivity. Orcas and belugas are seeing improvements too. I'm not sure about other species...

I do worry about the health of their animals, but not because of anything SeaWorld does. They are just dealing with animals we know little about. I mean, their penguins are fine, as penguins are easy compared to say, orcas and walruses. But the only way we can learn more and how to take care of them better is to study and take care of them in captivity. We can do wild studies, but wild cetacean studies are difficult, to say the least... The ocean makes it hard. Same with polar bears and walruses, but that's due to remoteness. Heck, we don't even have a baseline global population count for polar bears, let alone most cetaceans.

Quote:

Tilikum should've been retired after the first person he killed, and preferably to a sea pen

You know, I've always wondered why people assume sea pens are automatically better... It's kind of like using the term sanctuary over a zoo. Everyone assumes sanctuaries are ten times better for animals than any zoo, but there are some crappy sanctuaries out there... We don't have sea pens for orcas though, and the one I know of- the one for Keiko- was extremely small.

Furka
Member Avatar

A sea pen would still open up new problems, contamination or infection risk is higher than captivity, and you don't know if the animal could be stressed or hurt from external elements.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

stargatedalek
Member Avatar

With a sea pen suddenly you have all of the health and safety concerns of a tank, plus a fish farm, plus the dangers in the wild animals are protected from in tanks. It's a lot more difficult, and probably more dangerous too (for animals and handlers).

SeaWorld's facilities for fish and rays also rival the best in the world.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · News & Info · Next Topic »
Add Reply