Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to The Round Table. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DreamZoo2 Download Preservation Initiative
Topic Started: Mar 12 2018, 11:20 PM (508 Views)
Makaio
Member Avatar

Hello, fellow members of the Round Table! I am fully aware that I am not very well known on this forum, but even so, I wanted to post here because I believe that I have something that I can offer to the ZT2 community.

I created a site nearly five years ago that nobody has probably ever heard of, called "DreamZoo2". It was initially intended to be a zoo sharing website, where members could upload their zoos to a download database, as well as participate in Zoo Tycoon-related discussions. While it sounded like a good idea, the site was never very active. Having said that, I should say upfront that I am not trying to recruit any active users from here. I don't really have the time, nor the desire to run an active site. Folks interested in being active and contributing to a flourishing Zoo Tycoon site should look no further than this site, the ZT2 Round Table.

Because of this, I have been working to repurpose DreamZoo2 over the last several weeks as a site that could help preserve user downloads in the long run. Any designers who are interested in ensuring that their downloads remain available, both to themselves and the general public, for years, even decades down the line, should head over there and consider taking advantage of what I have to offer.

In the topic I am about to link to, there are four posts. The first one is a simple guide as to how to send your files in to have them archived for the long run. The second post documents, in detail, exactly what steps I will take to archive your files if you decide to send them in. The third post will attempt to preemptively answer any questions you may have, and the final post is an illustrated guide that shows you how you can take the initiative to ensure your own files are archived and made available for decades to come.

If this is something that you are even remotely interested in or curious about, I highly encourage you to head our way! Also, please feel free to ask me if you have any questions!

Here is the four-post topic with detailed documentation and instructions:
https://dreamzoo2.com/index.php?showtopic=147

Here is the link to the homepage of my site:
https://dreamzoo2.com/index.php?act=idx

If you have any questions, please send me a PM, reply to this topic, or send an email to the following address:
DreamZoo2Staff@gmail.com

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you!
~Makaio
Edited by Makaio, Jun 11 2018, 04:36 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Makaio
Member Avatar

This post is sort of a bump, if I'm being honest, but it is also to communicate some meaningful information.

I don't think I said this anywhere else but the FAQ, but you do NOT need to be a member of DreamZoo2 in order to take advantage of the download preservation offer. Any and all users may submit their downloads to be archived and preserved in the long run. I repeat, this offer is open to EVERYONE, including those who are not members of DreamZoo2.

The instructions are simple and easy to follow, and I have documented the entire process for those who are curious. Please don't hesitate to head over if you are at all interested, and feel free to send over anyone who may like to take advantage of our offer! I have also posted a guide to utilizing the Internet Archive to help designers archive their own content, which will definitely come in handy!

Thanks, and I look forward to working with you!

Makaio
Member Avatar

I first posted news of this download preservation initiative nearly three weeks ago, and this topic has been viewed on the Round Table 250+ times, and dozens of people have clicked on the links to navigate to the posts on DreamZoo2 where they may read more details on this offer. While I am a bit disappointed to see that seemingly nobody has taken the initiative to ask questions or has explicitly displayed interest, I can at least infer that there is some curiosity, based on the user interactions. For those of you who have read the topic and/or clicked on the links, I encourage you to ask me if you have any questions, without hesitation. I would be more than happy to assist you.

Having said that, I would like to take a moment to preemptively answer any questions that people may have. More questions and answers may be found in the third post of the topic linked to in above posts.

Q: Do I need to create an account on DreamZoo2 to submit my files there?

A: No. Anyone who heads over may submit their files to be preserved. Registration is NOT required, nor is it even encouraged.

Q: Is there a timeframe for this offer?

A: No. Even if you happen to be reading this years after it was posted, do not hesitate to head on over and fill out the form anyway. I will receive submissions immediately via email, and I will proceed to log in and archive your files according to the procedures I have outlined within a short time period. However, common sense dictates that it would be quite unlikely that I would still be able to accept submissions very far in the future (30+ years).

Q: Can I submit someone else's files here?

A: The short answer is yes, but with permission. The reality is a bit more complicated. Submitting your files to be archived in the long term is, in many ways, a very permanent procedure. That is to say, it is virtually impossible to fully delete any files that are posted publicly on the internet. I want the original content creators to be fully aware of the implications of having their files archived, and so I STRONGLY encourage, if possible, the original content creators to fill out the form themselves. However, if you can provide documentation that shows that you obtained permission from the original content creators, and they fully understand the ramifications of the procedures, I will accept download submissions that are not yours. Whether or not you provide sufficient proof will be determined on a case by case basis.

Well, that's all for now. I will not be posting in this topic again, unless it is to respond to a question. Just know that this offer will remain up for years, and that you are more than welcome to fill out the form over at DreamZoo2 at any time. While I cannot promise that I will remain active in the Zoo Tycoon community for much longer, I will always be reachable using the email address I provided in the first post of this topic.

Thanks for all the great memories, and I wish you all the best!
~Makaio
Edited by Makaio, Jun 11 2018, 04:36 AM.

Makaio
Member Avatar

IMPORTANT UPDATE!

DreamZoo2 is changing its domain name. From this day moving forward, we can now be found at the following address:

https://dreamzoo2.com

For now, the .tk domain will redirect to the new .com address, but only temporarily. It is highly recommended that you change any bookmarks and links that you may have posted from dreamzoo2.tk to dreamzoo2.com, as the .tk domain may not work for much longer.

Thanks!
~Makaio

Makaio
Member Avatar

Today, DreamZoo2 is commemorating five years online!

Our site has been online for five whole years, which is a remarkable achievement in itself! We are extremely grateful to each and every one of you for your many contributions to the site over the years, and we look forward to what lies ahead!

We have five new announcements that we feel we ought to make you aware of. Please read through them carefully, because they contain important information regarding the future of our site.

1. New Landing Page
Our forums will no longer be the default landing page when you visit our domain, dreamzoo2.com. Instead, you will be taken to a Google Sites page where you will be able to find all of our downloads, and other important information. It is strongly recommended that you bookmark this page, and change previous bookmarks and links, so that you may find us if our domain were to stop working in the future for any reason. Here is the direct link to that page:

https://sites.google.com/view/dreamzoo2

2. Download Preservation Initiative
We launched a new initiative to help preserve user downloads and other community history earlier this year. While we felt it was a noble and worthwhile effort, it didn't attract much attention, and very few people have taken advantage of it so far. We're convinced a lot of that had to do with the apparent complexity of the procedure and the unnecessarily long length of the documentation, which may have intimidated people and turned them off. In response, we have completely rewritten the procedures and changed them in a way that makes them much simpler, and far more effective.

Please consider taking advantage of the initiative by sending in any files of yours that you'd like to be preserved for the long run! Current instructions can be found here:

https://sites.google.com/view/dreamzoo2/download-preservation-initiative

3. Forum Depreciation Timeline
In order to preserve our forums and ensure they remain untampered with far in the future, we have announced a forum depreciation timeline. Various forum features, including registrations, posting, editing existing posts, changing user profiles and others will be gradually disabled in accordance with the timeline here:

https://sites.google.com/view/dreamzoo2/forum-depreciation-timeline

Please read it carefully and be sure to keep these dates in mind.

4. New Banner
We have a new site banner! This will be the third and final banner change for the site in its five years, and it will remain in place for the remainder of the site's life.

5. Internet Archive Integration
Perhaps our most important announcement, we have decided to publicly list all site elements on the Internet Archive. All site images, theme elements and downloads with their respective screenshots and images will be publicly accessible and stored forever in the archives. We are very happy to say that we are the first Zoo Tycoon site to have ever integrated all of our files with the Internet Archive, and we will continue to push for other sites to adopt more sound data preservation practices.

Thank you again to all of you who have registered an account on DreamZoo2 and contributed to it over the years! We couldn't have asked for a better group of people to have shared these last five years with. We wish you all the best moving forward, and we are excited to see what the future brings!

~The DreamZoo2 Staff

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Other Websites & Forums · Next Topic »
Add Reply