Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

We Are Converting to Tapatalk

Welcome to The Round Table. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
RIP Sudan, the last male Northern White Rhino
Topic Started: Mar 20 2018, 05:26 AM (614 Views)
Danny
Member Avatar

Quote:

Sudan, the world’s last male northern white rhino has died in Kenya, leaving the future of the subspecies in a perilous state.

A statement from the Ol Pejeta Conservancy in Kenya said the 45-year-old rhino was euthanized on Monday after his condition "worsened significantly" and he was no longer able to stand. His muscles and bones had degenerated and his skin had extensive wounds, with a deep infection on his back right leg.

Article: https://www.9news.com.au/world/2018/03/20/17/43/last-male-white-northern-rhino-dies-in-africa
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

magpiealamode
Member Avatar
No good hero is a one-trick phony.

Tragic, and my understanding is any attempts at IVF look rather hopeless. We can only hope his death serves as another reminder to the public about the importance of conservation.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Guilmon
Member Avatar
Rob Schneider herp de derp, rated PG-13!

Well, there goes my smile for the day... Rip

Megraptor
No Avatar

From what I've seen, San Diego Zoo has been working on embryo transfer for rhinos. They do have Sudan's and other northern white rhinos' sperm and they are looking to harvest eggs from the females too. I think they may even have some eggs saved, but are waiting for embryo transfer techniques to be perfected. I know they are working with horse breeders, as embryo transfer is very common in horse breeding, and horses and rhinos are closely related.

They are also trying to fix reproductive issues in southern white rhinos. The have changed the diet of their rhinos to have less phytoestrogens, which may have been causing low reproductive successes in captive born southern white rhinos.

Also, cloning could bring them back in the future. We should do everything to prevent extinction, but I don't think this will be the end of the northern white rhino. The door may be shut for a period of time, but it won't be locked.

Japari-Emi
Member Avatar
Many animal friends! <3

I saw this on Facebook, it made me pretty upset that another subspecies has been crossed off again, but on the flipside I'm glad efforts are being put into conservation and still breeding them.

On a side note, a ton of the comments on the post were absolutely disgusting. Things like "why do so many people care about a stupid animal", etc. etc. It brings a lot of attention to the way that most people view other organisms we share the world with, it's rather depressing.

kepperbob
Member Avatar
- Pure Shardana -

Quote:

I saw this on Facebook, it made me pretty upset that another subspecies has been crossed off again, but on the flipside I'm glad efforts are being put into conservation and still breeding them.

On a side note, a ton of the comments on the post were absolutely disgusting. Things like "why do so many people care about a stupid animal", etc. etc. It brings a lot of attention to the way that most people view other organisms we share the world with, it's rather depressing.

You see Japari Friend Of mine, the reason this happen is because people still sede animals ad inferior...for various reasons.

Dwarfbomb
Member Avatar

Even if a person has the mindset that other animals are inferior to humans, a resource rather than an equal, it still should be viewed as tragedy because future generations will only know the animal from pictures in books or mounted on a wall. It doesn't have to be equal to have worth. Also, many animals have untold scientific value to the human species, like elephants and naked mole rats with the study of cancer, snake venom for medicinal purposes, limulus amaebocyte lysate in horseshoe crab blood for detection of dangerous bacteria, etc. If we let animals go extinct with the mindset:" oh it's another stupid animal" we lose potential scientific model organisms to gain true medical insight for ourselves.

https://www.nwf.org/~/media/PDFs/Wildlife/medicinalbenefits9-06.ashx

I wonder what future disease keeping northern white rhinos around would have saved us from...
Edited by Dwarfbomb, Mar 24 2018, 10:28 PM.

Dylan
Member Avatar

@magpie - How many more reminders do they need? We're running out
Edited by Zoo Tycooner FR, Mar 26 2018, 01:48 PM.

Whalebite
Member Avatar

It is strange you have to explain that it is bad to drive species extinct. I won't go any further, because it ticks me off.
Anyway I did see Angalifu in 2010. Recently released my San Diego Safari Park, so looked through them again.
I agree with Dwarfbomb, equality doesn't have to be part of the equation. We have trouble seeing other people as equals, it is too much to ask that they also have to consider another organism as an equal. Even the people asking for animal rights have trouble moving their views beyond tetrapods, and none are asking for the rights of plants, or fungi, bacteria, or even just and rivers. We can protect them without people viewing others as equal, it may be harder but we can.
As for Northern White Rhinos, they are gone, either their descendants mixed with southern white rhinos. Any animal that learns about its world cannot be cloned you loose the continuum of behavior, you can create an approximation, but it will be Northern White Rhino v2.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · News & Info · Next Topic »
Add Reply