Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Shoot a firework rocket ~ Winners!
Make a forum zoo!

Welcome to The Round Table. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Is the Zoo Tycoon 2 Community Dead?
Topic Started: Jun 2 2018, 02:42 PM (1,494 Views)
SruSaves
No Avatar

Want to gather other peoples opinions on this issue.

When I first joined the community in 2009 at Caldera Unlimited I was amazed at how many people were there. Logging in for the first time felt like opening the doors to a new world. Gradually, CU died and Environ came to be, where I made some great friends and got close to a few people. Environ gradually faded away as people followed the designers to Tesara, then to Gaia...and so forth.

I stopped being truly active around Tesara's time. The turnaround time of the sites became too much of an annoyance and many of my old friends are now long gone from the community. I can't help to feel now that with many designers truly gone or working on bigger and better things such as JPOG or indie projects that TRT is the Titanic. The last and final swan song of a community that has been going on for over a decade it seems is going to end here. :cello:

In my opinion it seems factors such as the joy of just making zoos for fun being non existent(every zoo has to be "realistic") and PU downloads seem to have killed what is left of the community.

Just my two cents. :doge:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Posted Image Viggen
Member Avatar

One look at the state of this community and I think you have your answer. It's really quite sad.
I can't say for sure, but I think it really started going downhill here when HENDRIX retired. I guess the lack of someone to fill his place or something.
Edited by Viggen, Jun 2 2018, 02:55 PM.

magpiealamode
Member Avatar
No good hero is a one-trick phony.

We're still kicking. In my view it ain't over till it's over.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paleodude
Member Avatar
ex-Krampus

Hey Xer how about we don't make a topic intended to bait people into an argument please.

Iben
Member Avatar
There'll be no foot-walking! Just air-flying!

Viggen
Jun 2 2018, 02:51 PM
but I think it really started going downhill here when HENDRIX retired. I guess the lack of someone to fill his place or something.
Or other designers being overly dependent on him and other designers for way too long :P That's not to take away from the brilliant stuff he made and some of the remaining designers who still try their best to make custom stuff, but a lot of people really depended waaay too much on stuff to be put out by a small group of people and using that as a base.

But you know what, this game is quite old and most of those who played it actively are now old enough to be studying at universities/colleges or working by now. People then tend to get less active, it was bound to happen one day, given that game is 14 years old now.

Quote:

In my opinion it seems factors such as the joy of just making zoos for fun being non existent(every zoo has to be "realistic") and PU downloads seem to have killed what is left of the community.

I think this is a bit weird to say. There never was a brigade of people running around commenting on every single topic saying the zoo had to be realistic, even to this day there isn't one. Sometimes people give constructive criticism, it's just up to you to say "oh but this wasn't intended to be hyper realistic" or to just ignore it. I'm not even going to start on the whole PU thing because that whole discussion annoys me to the bone.

If you stop playing a game because people said something about your zoo that wasn't what you expected from it or because someone has something that they can place in their game that you don't; then that's your choice and not their fault. If you really let those things take away the joy of playing the game, then I guess you just weren't taking joy out of playing the game, but instead you were taking joy out of showing of what you had. Which is obviously fine, but not really what the goal of the game was of course. So you can't blame the community for that, you only have yourself to blame.

It's just my two cents really, take it with a grain of salt or do with it what you want :P Like I said, this is an old game with a player-base of people who're slowly growing up. Nothing lasts forever.

Stephen
Member Avatar
Stuck on Earth

I pretty much entirely agree with Iben. Wouldn't say the community is dead, but it's definitely dying.

ChunkMasterBlast
Member Avatar
Starting designer

I also agree with Iben. The game is so old, I started playing a couple of years ago. The community will fade away over time, but hopefully their great downloads and idea's stay behind. For the lonely player who orders such a game on the internet for a couple of bucks. We must be honest, it's time for a new ZT game, but with all those Battle Royal games (I dont like them very much) it will take a while. I'm hoping when the time has come, it'll be zt2 v2.0 with a code capable of handling modding for a long time. ZT2 has just reached his coding limits.
Edited by ChunkMasterBlast, Jun 2 2018, 04:23 PM.

Zoo Tycooner FR
Member Avatar
DuckBeakIlluminati

Yup, it is dying.

Guilmon
Member Avatar
Rob Schneider herp de derp, rated PG-13!

I'm sad to see it go. There better be a damn good spiritual successor, though.

Ignacio
Member Avatar
Ex Corrupt Staff

Yes, yes it is.

GaroZeiram1990
Member Avatar

Unfortunately I have to agree, the ZT2 community is dying. Many designers have left and many download links are broken. There are still so many things to do, but no one will dedicate their time and/or effort into them because real life is more important and there are often problems (study, work, etc). It amazes me that the ''Carnivores'' and ''Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis'' fandoms are still alive and making mods for games from 1999-2001, while ''Zoo Tycoon 2'' (a game whose last expansion pack was in 2007) is deteriorating. These days we are grateful for everything we get, even small and mundane things (like fish, birds, rodents and signs), while last year ''Carnivores Triassic'', as well as ''Jurassic World''-inspired packs for ''JP: Operation Genesis'' were released. It just goes to show how bad things have become for the ''Zoo Tycoon'' fandom and franchise.

Sahara
Member Avatar

Unless we get a proper spiritual successor to this game, then yeah, it's going to die. I've milked ZT2 dry of everything fun it has to offer me. I've played this game for more than any other game ever. I was in the third grade when I first got ZT2. I'm in college now, it's kind of embarrassing lol. Every time I try to play ZT2 for old time's sake I just get bored so quickly because I feel like I've seen it all. Even with all the mods, I still feel like I'm playing the same game and I'm just tired of it.

I really miss those old days on Caldera and Environ. I especially miss getting excited over Extinct Animals, that was a lot of fun too, reading up on new information every time it was released, watching hundreds of youtube videos about the game (EA came out like 6 months late where I used to live). But that's over now. I still come to the forums because I like to see what others are still doing with the game, but I've come to accept its limits and the limits of the modding community as well. I can't expect them to magically make this game into ZT3. So unless we get a new zoo-building game, this community will eventually die.

But with how popular Planet Coaster turned out, maybe there's hope.

(I did not spellcheck this so it probably sucks, srry)

LilyValley
Member Avatar

Sahara
Jun 2 2018, 05:28 PM
But with how popular Planet Coaster turned out, maybe there's hope.
There were rumors of a Planet Safari game, and I wouldn't say that's impossible, but the game devs there (Frontier) had made the 2013 Zoo Tycoon.

Now, Planet Coaster has plenty of room for creativity but there is some sort of copy protection iirc. Meaning, no modding potential as of right now.

And about the ZT2 community, I had been around since forever with this game (with or without mods, I got the game as Zookeeper collection around over a decade ago.). It's such a joy to me. I had gotten into this community rather late but I am still trying to reinvent things for the game. Eventually, it will only dwindle as to how many users there are active. I doubt any fan will wish to see such a thing. If I cannot introduce new things to the community because it's gone, I hope that my downloads will live on in an index or archive.

SruSaves
No Avatar

Thanks for the replies all.

I just wanted to gauge everyone's opinion on the matter, that is all.

Anyways, even though it's not zoo tycoon 2, we do have three zoo/park simulators coming.
Prehistoric Kingdom, Jurassic World: Evolution, and Advanced Operation Genesis(a JPOG rehaul). I think park simulators with animals be it living and extinct are far from dead; but Zoo Tycoon had remained a solid foundation for other games that aspire to be similar in theme to follow. ;)

Cross
Member Avatar
Eldritch Minds

Soon enough, like everyone here has said; the ZT2 community will die. Much less we will keep kicking and screaming until it does. As far as I've seen before I made myself know in the community, we were once a passionate community welcoming others.

On Hendrix's influence on the ZT2 Community; I will not lie, he has done many amazing things for the community, and has helped a great deal on keeping it alive. I will agree, we kinda have become a little too dependent on him, yet we can still change that. It just takes time to learn how to code, weight paint, mesh, skin, set uv maps, and create new animations; I think that's why people don't participate as much. It gives them quite the mental and creativity strain, and really demotivates them, even with Hendrix's handy accomplishments.

The community will wither away 'til hell freezes over, but for now, I won't let this part of me - the memories shared here in the community - wither away slower.
Edited by Cross, Jun 2 2018, 11:28 PM.

2 users reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Members: Cole12345
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: