Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Shoot a firework rocket ~ Winners!
Make a forum zoo!

Welcome to The Round Table. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Point Grey Zoo
Topic Started: Jun 2 2018, 07:10 PM (1,437 Views)
Burns
Member Avatar
King of Lemurs

Posted Image

The Point Grey Zoo is a zoo located in the Canadian city of Vancouver in the Point Grey neighborhood near UBC. The zoo currently sits on 170 acres of land although is planning on expanding into the land across the highway. Point Grey Zoo completes the Cascadian megalopolis off zoos adding the northern tip to the spectrum which ranges from Portland's, Oregon Zoo, through Seattle, and makes its way up into Vancouver. Point Grey Zoo works actively in the CAZA as well as the AZA. Using it's dual membership, and other rapports, Point Grey Zoo is able to keep a large amount of species both common and uncommon in North America or captivity as a whole. Point Grey Zoo also participates in numerous conservation programs around the world and its staff build upon those experiences to ensure the best lives for our animals.

The zoo has two entrances one for the African Portal and one for the Asian Portal which will be seen today. This allows the zoo to not only be more versatile but also to better steady the flow of foot traffic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Throughout this journey I don't want your likes, I want actual comments and criticisms.

Thank you to Kayla, Iben, Robbie, Wes, Maximus and Vombat for PU downloads used in this zoo.

I'd also like to thank Fireplume for helping me and a very large thanks to Thom who puts up with me, fixing all my broken projects.
Edited by Burns, Jun 2 2018, 07:18 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cole12345
Member Avatar
future zoologist in the making...

The entrance looks amazing Burns! Your work always excites me :)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sawrus
Member Avatar

Holy moly, the entrance looks beautiful
Can't wait to see the exhibits :)

EsserWarrior
Member Avatar
EsserWarrior

Didn't know you made exhibits for anything that didn't live on Madagascar. My entire life has been a lie.

But actually, the entrance looks great, buddy. ;)

Dylan
Member Avatar

Never seen a temperate zoo from you since this should be interesting.

pablet97
No Avatar

looks very cool, great job

Dwarfbomb
Member Avatar

I love what you did with the roof!!!

Loris Zoo Tycoon
Member Avatar

Beautiful entrance! I love the use of those borders or whatever you call them.

Posted Image TheYeti
Member Avatar

I love that you're starting a new zoo! Your other parks were awesome so I expect a lot from this one, especially with a quite different setting.

wild
Member Avatar

wooow i love the foliage use!! it looks so natural!
the buildings and the lines to get the tickets look so nice too, i can't wait to see more!

Esbardo
Member Avatar

Excellent, can't wait to see more updates. The early morning feel of the photos really adds to the natural scenery quite nicely.

HarryD28
Member Avatar
Lover of the Legless

That looks great Burns! Can't wait to see it.

Takara
Member Avatar
Sneaker Connoisseur

Looks great! I love all the smaller details, they really pull it all together!

Burns
Member Avatar
King of Lemurs

Posted Image
Posted Image

Welcome back to Point Grey Zoo. As we enter the Asia portal, guests step foot into the first "exhibit" of the zoo, Tibetan Steppe. Through the years the Point Grey Zoo has worked on many conservation projects throughout the Tibetan plateau. Our high latitude and cold winters make Vancouver and the Point Grey Zoo a great home for these cold grassland and high altitude animals. The first exhibit is a grassland overlook, meant to resemble the plateau itself.. The exhibit holds a large collection of hoofstock from the Tibetan plateau and Central Asia. These include the Przewalski's Horse, Bactrian Camel, Mishmi Takin, Chinese Goral, and White-lipped Deer. These are some of the most iconic animals of the steppes as well as some of the most rare. Mishmi takin are rarely seen in the United States and our pair was given to us by Denver Zoo during the construction of their elephant exhibit. So far they have produced one offspring.The exhibit and has been created to try to focus each animal to a certain area. Takins and gorals, that stick to the mountains can find their food placed their while the grassland dwelling horses and camels stick to the bottom part of the exhibit. Despite this, all the animals can go to any section as they please as the artificial steppes are not too large

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The steppe exhibit is also home to a pair of black-necked cranes, Abel and Irene. These birds are considered sacred in many Buddhist areas and finds the Tibetan Plateau, which is mainly occupied by Buddhists, a good breeding ground. At the zoo, our birds spend a lot of their time eating the bugs that are brought up from when the ungulates step on fresh soil. This emphasizes the biodiversity and ecology of the steppe in how every species has a part to play.

Posted Image

Posted Image

One of the largest herds in the exhibit is that of the white-lipped deer. White-lipped deer are usually found roaming the vast grasslands of the steppe as well as areas above the treeline. We have a heard of 7 animals here at Point Grey, led by Alpha, the only male of the group. He has sired all 3 fawns who continue growing at rapid speed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

But perhaps the most iconic creature of the exhibit is the bactrian camel. We have 3 camels here of the domesticated species. Due to the large amount of space to roam, they appear skinnier than most of the camels in captivity. Our three females are named after the powerpuff girls, Blossom, Buttercup, and Bubbles. It seemed to our keepers that each camel embodied one of the girls nearly perfectly upon their arrival in 2015.

The largest herd of animals we have however is that of Przewalski's horse. Point Grey Zoo has been instrumental in the release of different wild horse populations across central asia since the 90's. We currently have a group of 9 animals, with 4 of those being foals. The herd almost always moves together and is a blur of pale-brown upon first glance. A final species in the exhibit is our herd of Chinese Goral. We have 5 individuals who spend their time towards the back of the exhibit, bouncing around or sleeping on the large rocks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

To the left is the trail that lead guests not only to the rest of the exhibit but the rest of the zoo. This is one of the reasons we have the second entrance to try to curb the flow of traffic to this narrow area. This trail is meant to symbolize a climb up the Himalayas and then the descent while viewing the species native to each area. The first exhibit is an aviary home to the birds of the lowland forests. These include red-billed blue magpies, white-crested laughingthrushes, little owls, and Tibetan-eared pheasants. All but one of these species is common in captivity although the pheasants have a different story. After our conservation trip in 2011, the conservation group we were helping wished us to take a pair of pheasant chicks. They simply didn't have the technology to take care of them for a long period of time. Thinking these were common white-eared pheasants, the zoo took them in. As the chicks fledged however, they began to turn blue and after a quick DNA test, it was discovered these were actually Tibetan-eared pheasants. We feel lucky to be able to hold such a rare species.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Can you spot all 4 species?

That ends our journey for today on the Tibetan Steppe. There are still 3 more exhibits to go as we climb the Himalayas. Any guesses on what's in the next habitat? Please tell us what you liked or disliked about these exhibits and suggestions on how to improve.

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Thanks again to Kayla, Robbie, Iben and others for PU downloads used in this zoo. Also thank you to Thom who fixed a crashing bug)
Edited by Burns, Jun 7 2018, 11:05 PM.

Ranma
Member Avatar

This exhibit is particularly stunning! The species mix is among the most unique of its kind (takins with camels). And if I had to guess, there would be Snow Leopards, Red Pandas, and Tufted Deer?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Zoos & Aquariums · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: