Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Shoot a firework rocket ~ Winners!
Make a forum zoo!

Welcome to The Round Table. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Animals in BOTH captivity and the wild?
Topic Started: Jun 8 2018, 08:05 AM (259 Views)
Danny
Member Avatar

While doing animal-watching this year, I thought about something... Many of us have species we see regularly in captivity that others may be envious of, while others have seen species to be envied in the wild. My question is what are the most interesting animals you've seen in BOTH captivity and the wild? (I use interesting because this can vary between people - you can love an animal sighting because it's rare or just because it's beautiful for another reason)

My complete mammal list (I think this is all):
- Proboscis Monkey
- Tasmanian Devil
- Platypus
- Eastern Barred Bandicoot
- Bornean Bearded Pig
- Bornean Orangutan*
- Common Bottlenose Dolphin
- Prevost's Squirrel
- Plantain Squirrel
- Long-Tailed Macaque
- Koala
- Common Wombat
- Short-Beaked Echidna
- Australian Fur Seal
- Black Flying-Fox
- Grey-Headed Flying-Fox
- Tasmanian Pademelon
- Red-Legged Pademelon
- Sugar Glider
- Red-Necked Wallaby
- Swamp Wallaby
- Eastern Grey Kangaroo
- Western Grey Kangaroo (?)
- Common Brushtail Possum
- Common Ringtail Possum
- Red Deer
- Sambar Deer
- Eurasian Fallow Deer
- Red Fox
- Brown Hare
- European Rabbit
- Brown Rat
- Black Rat
- House Mouse

* 'wild' individuals were in a sanctuary of remnant forest where they were rescued and had rangers to put out extra food where visitors could see them
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Guilmon
Member Avatar
Rob Schneider herp de derp, rated PG-13!

I've seen striped skunks and coyotes in both settings.
Edited by Guilmon, Jun 8 2018, 06:23 PM.

Fireplume
Member Avatar
Snok Snok Snerson

Hands down winner for me would have to be Common Bottlenose Dolphins:
Posted Image

Course, the ones in captivity are typically descended from Atlantic Inshore Populations and these are of Pacific Offshore Populations, but still Tursiops truncatus nonetheless.

I've seen a Puma once in the wild, unfortunately no pic.

The rest:
- Southern Sea Otter
- Desert Kit Fox
- Hawksbill Sea Turtle

Danny
Member Avatar

Ooh I have bottlenose dolphins for both too - no wild photos though... I am super jealous of your other species, especially the otters and puma

Anton
Member Avatar
King of Cotingas

I'll focus on birds for now:

-Bali myna (Bali Barat National Park, 2016, and many zoos)
-Hooded vulture (Blyde River Canyon, 2015, and a few zoos)
-Lappet-faced vulture (Hluhluwe-Imfolozi National Park, 2015, and Moholoholo rescue centre)
-Kori bustard (Kruger National Park, 2015, and Zoo Duisburg)
-African openbill (Kruger National Park, 2015, and Berlin Zoo)
-Atlantic puffin (Skomer Island, 2014, and a few zoos)
-California condor (Grand Canyon, 2010, and San Diego Zoo)
-Australian blue penguin (Oamaru, 2009, and Bronx Zoo/Jurong Bird Park)
-Kea (Arthur's Pass National Park, 2009, and many zoos)
-Great hornbill (Khao Yai National Park, 2008, and a few zoos)
-Australian pelican (Kakadu National Park, 2007, and Pairi Daiza/Jurong Bird Park)
-Brolga crane (Kakadu National Park, 2007, and London Zoo)

In order of appearance starting with the most recent, though bali myna might forever be my favorite one...

Posted Image

Danny
Member Avatar

Oh nice! I must admit, I've never actually seen wild brolgas despite living in Australia my whole life but only because the only individuals in Melbourne are on the other side of the city in an area I don't yet have a birdwatching licence for... :P

Very hopeful to see condors too when I visit the US next month, but not really expecting it. Is there a lot of luck involved in seeing them at the Grand Canyon?

The penguins were one I probably could have added to my list, as they're a favourite of mine to see in the wild!

Anton
Member Avatar
King of Cotingas

Condors aren't too difficult to find I don't think, I was only 12-13 at the time so I don't remember where exactly it was, but there was a talk about them with a guide, who then showed us 2 animals flying around in the canyon and a third one sitting on a ledge (with the help of scopes etc provided by them). I'm not sure if they still do those talks 8 years later, but it's definitely worth looking into as they'll probably be in the best spot to find them.

The penguins are actually an interesting story, as there are two different species: One in New Zealand and one in Australia. I did not see any penguins in Australia, but have seen Australian blue penguin wild because there is one colony of the Australian species in the entirety of New Zealand, which is in Oamaru.
Ironically, the main identification point between the two species is that the Australian species swims to shore after dusk in a large group, whereas the New Zealand species doesn't... And the collective swimming of the Oamaru penguins to shore is exactly what Oamaru's main touristic attraction focuses on! It is quite an impressive sight, a few hundred penguins swimming to shore in the dark. :D

I also saw yellow-eyed penguins close to where I saw the little blue's, but can't count those for this topic as I haven't seen them in captivity. :P

Fireplume
Member Avatar
Snok Snok Snerson

Danny
Jun 9 2018, 04:04 AM
Ooh I have bottlenose dolphins for both too - no wild photos though... I am super jealous of your other species, especially the otters and puma
I wasn't joking when I said meet me in Monterey then! Seriously they're everywhere ahahaha

Rudyn
Member Avatar

European ground squirrel: ( Dunakeszi airport, Budaörs airport, Tihany-peninsula / Budspest zoo)
Common crane (Hortobágy National park/ Budapest zoo as rescued bird)
Saker falcon (Duna-Ipoly National park/ A national conservation guard kept some for ex-situ conservation)
Eastern imperial eagle ( Jászberéyn/ Budapest zoo as rescued bird)
Pied avocet ( Kiskunság National park/ Budapest zoo as rescued bird)
Eurasian hoopoe (Many places/ Budapest zoo as rescued bird)
European bee-eater ( Many places/ Budapest zoo as rescued bird)
European roller (Jászberény, Kiskunság natonal park/ Budapest zoo as rescued bird)
Eastern Slow-Worm (Anguis colchica) Duna-Ipoly national park (Börzsöny)/Lake Tisza Ecocentre )
Barbus peloponnesius petenyi (Börzsöny/Lake Tisza Ecocentre)

Edited by Rudyn, Jun 9 2018, 06:34 PM.

Fireplume
Member Avatar
Snok Snok Snerson

I definitely lied cause Makana wins hands- I mean wings, down! (Laysan Albatross, only in captivity and I saw them all over Hawai'i when I lived there)

Posted Image

Danny
Member Avatar

@Anton, I always forget about the separation of E. novaehollandiae and E. minor - probably because many sites still list them as conspecific, including ebird which is where I put all my observations. In Melbourne, you can see penguins in the Bay at St Kilda pier (though I've never actually looked there) but the most popular spot is at Phillip Island, where there is an expensive and over-crowded "Penguin Parade" tourist attraction. If you go in cooler months and stay along the boardwalk on the side, you are guaranteed to see large numbers of penguins and their chicks waddling right beside you. Other times of the year can be more disappointing because it is often more crowded and there are fewer penguins because they all stay out at sea if there are no chicks to feed. You can also often see them from inside manmade nestboxes all around the area for free during the day if you don't care so much for the cost of the spectacle (what I did this year as I visited in the morning). By far my best experience of seeing wild penguins was down in Burnie in Tasmania as there were no crowds and despite being fewer birds, we had very good views. At the time, we were staying in a town 20 minutes away called Penguin, which ironically was not where the penguins actually were.

As for the condors, I'll be at the North Rim so I don't know how much that changes my chances, but I'll be visiting a few areas nearby... Admittedly in a little bit of a rush as we are driving across the country.

Anton
Member Avatar
King of Cotingas

That sounds pretty similar to Oamaru! They have boardwalks and paths right beside the penguin nests as well, where you can come very close to the penguins. Funnily enough my observation of puffins in the wild was actually very similar to this as well; it was on Skomer island, an island off the coast of Wales, where you can walk on paths that go very close to the puffin nests, with birds that aren't shy at all.

Good luck birding in the US! When I went there in 2010 it was a lot of driving around as well, but that's kind of what you have to do in the US (and, I suppose, in Australia as well!) :P

Posted Image Xenephos
Member Avatar
ᴀ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴏʙsᴇssᴇᴅ

I've seen:
Mammals:
Moose (Alces alces)
Bottlenose Dolphin (Tursiops truncatus)
Birds:
Trumpeter Swan (Cygnus buccinator)
Sandhill Crane (Grus canadensis)
Snowy Egret (Egretta thula)
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
Golden Eagle (Aquila chrysaetos)
Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus)
Fish:
Great Barracuda (Sphyraena barracuda)
Inverts:
Black Widow Spider (Latrodectus sp.) Brookfield Zoo has one in a tiny exhibit in the swamp house so it counts lol
Edited by Xenephos, Jun 12 2018, 04:08 PM.

Sophie
Member Avatar
Royalty

Definitely Bottlenose Dolphin and Harbor Porpoise.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · Zoo Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply