Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

We Are Converting to Tapatalk

Welcome to The Round Table. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
US proposes plan to allow hunting of Red Wolves
Topic Started: Jul 21 2018, 01:54 PM (355 Views)
AwesomeFrito
Member Avatar

I know it's few weeks old but I just stumbled upon the news now. There are many articles covering it but I will just list a few. Basically, Trump's U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service proposed a plan to allow local landowners and hunters to kill red wolves that leave their protected habitat which is the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge in North Carolina. This would have devastating effects on the critically endangered red wolves whose wild population is under 35.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2018/06/27/interior-plans-to-let-people-to-kill-endangered-red-wolves/?utm_term=.6524fe42ee85

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/06/red-wolf-hunting-policy-animals/
Edited by AwesomeFrito, Jul 26 2018, 10:57 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Guilmon
Member Avatar
Rob Schneider herp de derp, rated PG-13!

Another reason to despise Trump. I thought he couldn't get that much more despicable, but he just did. The Red Wolves should be PROTECTED, you orange moron!

I am literally sick to my stomach right now.
Edited by Guilmon, Jul 21 2018, 03:52 PM.

Dwarfbomb
Member Avatar

WHAT THE!!!!!!! I had no idea that this happened!!!! I LOVE red wolves, the red wolves at Lowry Park zoo just had a litter of four pups.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

stargatedalek
Member Avatar
I'm not slow! That's just my moe!

I wouldn't even call this hunting. Nothing about this is regulated or responsible.

This is just extending the ludicrously lax "self defense" laws of the US onto endangered species.

AwesomeFrito
Member Avatar

I guess I shouldn't be that surprised, since it's the same people on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service that lifted the ban on imported elephant and lion trophies (saying they would review the imports on a "case by case basis"). But it still baffles my mind, the lack of compassion these people possess.

Another thing worth noting, from The Washington Post article:
Quote:

The service’s new objective, said Leopoldo Miranda, assistant director for ecological services in the agency’s Southeast region, would be to intensively manage a small population of 10 to 15 red wolves at the refuge to preserve their genetic value and wild behaviors in the hopes that officials can find a location more friendly and suitable than eastern North Carolina.

Apparently they also don't understand how conservation works.
Edited by AwesomeFrito, Jul 22 2018, 12:30 AM.

Artemis
Member Avatar

Gets worse... it could impact ALL endangered species in the US.

Quote:

US proposes roll back of endangered species protections

The 1973 federal law is considered the gold standard for global environmental protection, and is credited with saving dozens of key species from extinction, including bald eagles, manatees, humpback whales and American alligators.

One proposed change, announced by the Interior and Commerce Departments, would remove a sentence that aims to separate economic impacts from decisions about animal protection.

Other provisions would vary protections for animals on a case-by-case basis.

Meanwhile, another suggested change would remove a clause that automatically conveys the same protections to threatened species as endangered species.

https://phys.org/news/2018-07-endangered-species.html

stargatedalek
Member Avatar

While I disagree on the trophy ban (I've always been for opening it to a case-by-case basis, IE require documentation that the kill was approved by staff/conservationists with a proper reserve), this administration's actions are simply dumbfounding.

Most of what they're doing is clearly commercial based, removing protections to allow companies free reign, but what does this with the wolves accomplish? Are they trying to appeal to some alt-right agenda to make the Trump constituents think all of this is helping them? Is there some push among alt-right circles to allow hunting of these wolves?

The lack of compassion of this administration applies to more than just animals, but to human rights as well.
Edited by stargatedalek, Jul 22 2018, 06:47 AM.

Fireplume
Member Avatar
Snok Snok Snerson

Honestly the Endangered Species Act has done nothing in the years that it's been in place and its current definition is just follow the rules of the IUCN/CITES, rendering it completely useless really. Plus factor into the fact that state-by-state exists their own "conservation sovereignty" where they can pick and choose what's protected and not (often with ridiculous nature, such as California's protection of pumas), the whole thing is a giant mess that needs MAJOR reform.

As for the red wolves, no. It isn't hunting. It's just extermination of a beautiful species with no warrant.

stargatedalek
Member Avatar

Fireplume
Jul 22 2018, 02:17 PM
Honestly the Endangered Species Act has done nothing in the years that it's been in place and its current definition is just follow the rules of the IUCN/CITES, rendering it completely useless really. Plus factor into the fact that state-by-state exists their own "conservation sovereignty" where they can pick and choose what's protected and not (often with ridiculous nature, such as California's protection of pumas), the whole thing is a giant mess that needs MAJOR reform.

As for the red wolves, no. It isn't hunting. It's just extermination of a beautiful species with no warrant.
Like most things about the Trump administration, there is room for some very small glimmer of hope that destroying everything allows the next administration to start from scratch.

Fireplume
Member Avatar
Snok Snok Snerson

I completely agree with you there. Really the best option for Red Wolves seems to move them out of NC; really this isn't a Trump Administration issue anyway, there's been fights over them for YEARS.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · News & Info · Next Topic »
Add Reply