Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to The Round Table. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Extinct Animal Questions
Topic Started: Nov 26 2013, 10:24 PM (194,070 Views)
Fluffs
No Avatar
Pull my finger!

Well Gaia has a similar topic, so why not the TRT?

Basically you post a question related to anything having to do with paleontology.

If I'm correct, do we only know the color schemes of Sinosauropteryx, Anchiornis, Microraptor, and Archaeopteryx?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CyborgIguana
Member Avatar

We also know the colour schemes of Sinornithosaurus and Caudipteryx, if I'm correct. ;)

caviar
Member Avatar

how was caudipteryx coloured?

CyborgIguana
Member Avatar

Red with blue patches on its back and wings, and dark brown to black bands on its tail feathers if I remember correctly.

Fluffs
No Avatar
Pull my finger!

Is there a source? I can't seem to find it. :/

Similis
Member Avatar

Quote:

Caudipteryx (Pennaceous wing feathers on second finger and as a fan on tip of the tail. Secondary flight feathers preserved in C. dongi but not C. zoui. Shorter, possibly simpler feathers cover the body. Fingers are scaly/naked. Stripes are present on the tail feathers. [Published: Ji et al., 1998 "Two feathered dinosaurs from northeastern China" and Zhou & Wang, 2000 "A new species of Caudipteryx from the Yixian Formation of Liaoning, northeast China"])

Borrowed from Hell Creek forum. From what I've gathered, we know the pattern, not the colour. Google and GS weren't helpful on the matter.

Robbie
Member Avatar
●■♥WHY?♥■●

A question, who found the first dinosaur? and what was the first dinosaur to be discovered?

CyborgIguana
Member Avatar

Iguanodon, discovered in the 1820s by geologist William Buckland. ;)

Jules
Member Avatar
Mihi est imperare orbi universo

It depends ;) Megalosaurus is generally considered the first dinosaur to be named. It was first described by Robert Plot in 1676, who considered it a Roman war elephant and later a giant human. It was then named Scrotum humanum, which means Human Testicles, in 1763, by Richard Brookes. but it was named Megalosaurus by Buckland in 1824.

EDIT : CI, Iguanodon was actually discovered by Owen, later.
Edited by Jules, Nov 29 2013, 01:14 PM.

Admiral General Aladeen
Member Avatar

Well dinosaur bones have been found for thousands of years by people who didnt know what they were. For example, in Ancient China they were thought to be the bones of a dragon.
Way later in 1676, a large femur was found in England by Reverend Plot. It was most likely that of a dinosaur even though it was said to be from a giant. So that was I guess the first really recorded find.
The first dinosaur to be scientifically described was Megalosaurus by William Buckland, in 1824.

EDIT: CJ and Cyborg beat me to it.
Edited by Admiral General Aladeen, Nov 29 2013, 01:14 PM.

CyborgIguana
Member Avatar

Crookedjaw
Nov 29 2013, 01:12 PM
It depends ;) Megalosaurus is generally considered the first dinosaur to be named. It was first described by Robert Plot in 1676, who considered it a Roman war elephant and later a giant human. It was then named Scrotum humanum, which means Human Testicles, in 1763, by Richard Brookes. but it was named Megalosaurus by Buckland in 1824.

EDIT : CI, Iguanodon was actually discovered by Owen, later.
Actually, it was NAMED by Owen, but discovered by Buckland much earlier. ;)

Jules
Member Avatar
Mihi est imperare orbi universo

Actually, we were both wrong xD It was Mantell xD

Fluffs
No Avatar
Pull my finger!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/25/unique-wedding-ring_n_4338966.html

Does anyone know what dinosaur species is used, and also is this harmful to the paleontology field?

CyborgIguana
Member Avatar

The Jurassic period wasn't 65 million years ago you morons! Even the Cretaceous ended a million years before that! Seriously, would it KILL these journalists to do even a LICK of research???? But yeah, I'd say it's pretty dumb that dinosaur fossils from the Morrison formation that should be studied by science are instead being ground up into cheap wedding rings. What's especially discomforting is that no one seems to care about this stuff. People never see the theft or vandalism of fossils as a big deal, and even see punishing the idiots who commit such acts as a step too far, and that they should just be allowed to get away with it. Fossils are natural treasures that deserve to be treated with respect, and that fact needs to snap into the heads of the human race.

Similis
Member Avatar

Depends what was the fossil of. If it was one of the species that is extremely abundant in the rocks, the harm is little, but still done. Also, 65 milion years ago was Paleocene, dinosaurs that weren't birds went extinct at that point. If we go by "eras" then it was Cenozoic, Jurassic is a period. Mesozoic is an era. But 65 mya wasn't Mesozoic anymore, according to the so far accepted dating.

*sigh* The shit I put up with.

4 users reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Extinct Animals & Evolution · Next Topic »
Add Reply